Mimi and the seniors




Recently we had the difficult decision of putting Terry's grandmother(nana) into an assisted living situation. After much thought and consideration Terry's sisters, terry and I decided that Nana would be comnfortable living in a lovely place called St Elizabeth Briarbank.
Nana will be 100 on December 22 and she is very sharp and witty but is in need of much more care than we could give her.
Nana is also very Catholic and is thrilled with the fact that she is steps away from the Chapel. She attends Rosary services every day and attends mass on Sunday and all of the Holy days.
Mimi and I visit Nan every week after Mimi's music class and as you can imagine, Mimi attracts a lot of attention.
There is a long hallway to the dining room and Nana , Mimi and I stopped on a bench to rest and chat. The long parade of walkers were going by on their way to lunch and a few ladies stopped to visit with Mimi. Well a few of the ladies in the back of the lunch procession were so angry about the hold up that they almost trampled this 85 year old woman to get to their lunch.
Mimi really has no fear of the elderly and all of the mystery that goes along with them. She sits on Nan's lap and feeds her cookies and wipes her mouth when she is finished. She isn't frightened of oxygen tanks, walkers, wheelchairs or the constant squeezing and pinching she gets.
She also loves the nuns. I think because I brainwash her with "The Sound of Music"dvd, she might think it is similar to visiting Fraulein Maria.
We also went to visit my father's cousin who is a nun, and is 98. She lives with the retired nuns in a beautiful place in Monroe.
Mimi had a blast there as well, she scammed candies and cookies and tennis balls from all of the little old nuns.We ran through their immense garden that is flanked by plaques depicting the stations of the cross(I ams ure not much running oges on there). Mimi really lifted everyone's spirits.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home